Saturday 23 August 2008

Pebbledash Buildings


Yorkshire Post, Leeds

I can't say I have ever seen a nice looking pebbledash building ever. Pebbledash is basically render with small stones added to give a gritty vertical shingle beach effect to external walls. Of course today we know that walls should never be treated as vertical beaches, but back in the rush to build houses in the 1920s, it was widely used to cover cheap or inexpert brickwork and sadly it's still being used.

The Yorkshire Post building is a good example of this. It saddens me every time I enter Leeds. Leeds is such a great city with great buildings, just a shame that this is the first impression you get.

If anyone knows of any good looking pebbledash buildings, I would be happy at to change my mind...

1 comment:

Caz said...

I totally agree with u caroline, i hate pebbledash buildings - old and tacky!